A warrant search in Riley County, Kansas can be initiated by any community member; however, such inquiries are not entertained online. Three state agencies keep information about the issue of active warrants in the area; these include the police, the magistrate’s office, and the clerk of court’s department. Together these three agencies maintain a flow of data that helps in the arrests of offenders, in processing the arrestee, and in his treatment after he has been detained.
Generally, the process followed for the issue of arrest warrants starts at the sheriff’s office when they file a writ with a local criminal tribunal for the issue of the legal process. This affidavit is prepared based on the investigations carried out by the deputies of the agency. In fact, it is the investigating officers who take the declaration to the tribunal.
At this point, it is imperative to know that the document is a signed and sworn statement that is prepared with complete knowledge of the fact that any attempt to mislead the court will be treated as perjury. The witnesses who may be called in for a sworn deposition are also given to understand this in no uncertain terms.
It is also crucial to realize that this is not the trial proper; no verdicts or sentences are being given out at this session. Despite this, there is no difference between a regular trial session and a pre-warrant hearing in terms of how the whole affair is conducted. A deputy of the clerk of court is present throughout the session to record the court dockets for the matter. So, to get information on outstanding warrants and arrest record, you can approach:
- The police: 1001 S Seth Child Rd, Manhattan, Kansas 66502
- The county clerk: 110 Courthouse Plaza, Manhattan, Kansas 66502
- The court of the magistrate: 100 Courthouse Plaza, Manhattan, KS 66502
How do you contact Riley County officials to inquire about active warrants and recent arrests? (2021-current)
- Call the Riley County Jail at 785-537-2112 ext. 1902 for information on arrests and prisoners.
- Contact the Riley Sheriff’s Department at 785-537-2112 for arrest records and police reports.
- Call the Municipal Court at 785-539-0311/785-587-2450 for information about arrest warrants.
- Call the Riley County Attorney’s Office at 785-537-6390 for victim’s assistance.
- Contact the Clerk of Court’s Office at 785-537-6364 for information on submitting a request for a criminal background check.
Crime statistics of Riley County
Almost 263 criminal complaints were filed by the Riley Sheriff’s Department in 2019, compared to the 1534 crimes reported in 2018. The figure included 1271 property offenses and 263 crimes against people. The following crimes were reported:
- 998 larceny-thefts
- 168 burglaries
- 105 motor vehicle thefts
- 209 aggravated assaults
- 32 rapes, and
- 21 robberies
Older crime statistics
Nearly 1900 criminal reports are filed in Riley County, KS per annum. While property crimes account for almost 1800 of these complaints, the remaining figure comprises heinous crimes like murder, rape, and assault. Despite growing concern expressed by the residents of the area, the police have been unable to stop the growth of nearly 20% in the crime rates over the ten years from 1999 to 2008.